Clemens Holzmeister (1886–1983) studied at the Technische Hochschule in Vienna from 1906 to 1913 under Max von Ferstel and Siegfried Simony, for whom he subsequently worked as an assistant. He then taught at the Staatsgewerbeschule in Innsbruck, before switching to the Akademie der bildenden Künste in Vienna, where he directed the masterclass for architecture until 1938. After emigrating to Turkey, he was professor at the Technical College in Istanbul from 1939 to 1949. He then returned to Vienna and his former position at the Akademie (1949–61). With an oeuvre of over 700 works, Holzmeister is internationally one of Austria’s best known architects.