Fritz Judtmann (1899–1968) studied at the Technische Hochschule in Vienna from 1919 to 1922 under Max von Ferstel, Franz Krauß, Leopold Simony, and Max Theuer. He subsequently stayed at the college to work as an assistant to Simony until 1928. As soon as 1924, however, he set up an atelier with Egon Riss, which flourished until unfavourable economic conditions forced its closure in 1934. At the Werkbund Estate, the pair had designed the café. In 1935, Judtmann began to work as a stage designer at the Burgtheater, eventually becoming its head designer ten years later. He also held a course on costume and dress at the Akademie der bildenden Künste in 1946. As an architect, Judtmann always strived to be abreast of the latest technological advances, constructing for example the first steel-concrete ‘skeleton house’ in Vienna.