Josef Frank (1885–1967) studied at the Technische Hochschule in Vienna from 1903 to 1908, before establishing an architectural practice with Oskar Wlach and Oskar Strnad in 1913. From 1919 he served as architect to the Verband für Siedlungs- und Kleingartenwesen (Austrian Union of Settlements and Allotment Gardens), and was also professor at the Kunstgewerbeschule in 1921–26. Together with Wlach, he founded the furniture enterprise Haus & Garten in 1925. Having been the only Austrian to contribute a house to the Stuttgart Werkbund Estate in 1927, Frank then became the initiator and artistic director of the Vienna Werkbund Estate. His emigration to Sweden followed soon after (1934). As a co-founder of both the Austrian Werkbund and the Congrès Internationaux d’Architecture Moderne (CIAM), Frank was one of the most important figures of the second phase of Wiener Moderne (‘Viennese Modernism’).