Oskar Wlach (1881–1963) trained in Vienna at the Technische Hochschule under Karl König (1898–1906), and at the Akademie der bildenden Künste under Friedrich Ohmann (1906–07). He then worked as an independent architect with Oskar Strnad from 1907, with Josef Frank joining the partnership five years later. It was together with Frank that Wlach founded the furniture company Haus & Garten in 1925. After the company was aryanised in 1938, he emigrated to the USA, where he received a professional license in 1940. Wlach’s designs for numerous housing complexes and interiors in Vienna mark him out as one of the leading representatives of the second phase of Wiener Moderne (‘Viennese Modernism’) in the inter-war period.