Erich Boltenstern (1896–1991) studied at the Technische Hochschulen in Vienna and Berlin from 1918. During his time as an assistant to Oskar Strnad at the Kunstgewerbeschule in Vienna (1927–34), he took on the furnishing of house no. 5 by Hugo Häring at the Werkbund Estate. He switched to the Akademie der bildenden Künste in 1934, where he remained an assistant to Clemens Holzmeister until 1936. He then took on the masterclass of Peter Behrens, which he led until his suspension in 1938. After the war, he led the masterclass of Holzmeister and was made a professor at the Technische Hochschule in Vienna (where he later became dean, 1959–60). With his numerous building projects after 1945 (Ringturm, National Bank, reconstruction of the Opera House), he was one of the most important architects of the post-war period in Vienna.