Walter Loos (1905–75) studied from 1921 to 1927 at the Kunstgewerbeschule in Vienna, where he was taught by Franz Cizek, Josef Hoffmann, and Josef Frank. In 1926–33, he worked as an independent architect in Düsseldorf, Würzburg, and Frankfurt. At the Vienna Werkbund Estate, he designed houses nos. 19–20, including the interior of no. 20. In 1938, Loos emigrated via London to Argentina, where he set up an atelier with Max Thurn in 1941. Loos belonged to the progressive circle of architects around Josef Frank, who sought to reconcile the pure forms of the Neues Bauen (‘New Building’) movement with the individual requirements of the inhabitants.