Hugo Häring (1882–1958) studied at the Technische Hochschulen in Stuttgart and Dresden (1899–1903), and then taught at the Kunstgewerbeschule in Hamburg until 1916. In 1923, together with Ludwig Mies van der Rohe, he founded the so-called Zehnerring, or ‘Ring of Ten’, an association of modernist architects in Berlin. His attention then turned increasingly to small-scale housing and estate planning. In 1946, Häring was put in charge of reconstruction work in the French-occupied zone of Germany. As soon as the following year, however, he started working under Hans Scharoun’s direction at the Institut für Bauwesen of the Akademie der Wissenschaften in Berlin. As a proponent of ‘organic’ building, Häring was one of a group of architects whose influence peaked around 1930, but continued into the post-war period.