Oskar Strnad (1879–1935) studied under Max von Ferstel, Karl König, and Karl Mayreder at the Technische Hochschule in Vienna from 1900 to 1903. He then began his professional life in the ateliers of Friedrich Ohmann and Fellner & Helmer. From 1906, he was active as an architect and designer, working in partnership with Oskar Wlach and Josef Frank until 1918. At the same time, he taught (1909–14) and served as professor (1914–35) at the Kunstgewerbeschule in Vienna. He was also in international demand as a stage designer (1924–35). At the Werkbund Estate, he was responsible for houses nos. 13–14, including the furnishings of no. 14. Strnad left his mark on an entire generation of architects, and was one of the most influential figures of the second phase of Wiener Moderne (‘Viennese Modernism’) in the inter-war period.