Hugo Gorge (1883–1934) studied in Vienna at the Technische Hochschule under Karl Mayreder (1906–08) and then at the Akademie der bildenden Künste under Friedrich Ohmann (1907–10). He started to work for Ohmann as soon as 1909, before becoming assistant to Oskar Strnad at the Kunstgewerbeschule in 1911. After the First World War, Gorge devoted himself increasingly and with great success to interior and furniture design. At the Werkbund Estate, he was responsible for houses nos. 43–44, and for furnishing the former. Gorge’s work is characterised by a careful handling of materials and clear proportions, as well as a preference for simplicity and generous spaces.